Sunday, January 24, 2010

6:11 p.m.

I need a break from doing French homework. So far, my homework for tomorrow is extremely easy. I don't understand why I had such a hard time understanding my teacher on Friday.

My weekend has been very low key, which I am grateful for. Yesterday, I went to lunch at a creperie and had a crepe with chicken, red peppers, and Italian cheeses. It was amazing. Eva, Tammy, Katie F, Jordan, and I felt it was neccessary for a little "retail therapy" and went to "Grand-Place." You must say "Grand-Place" with a French accent! If you say it with an American accent, no one would understand what the heck you are talking about. Grand-Place is the centre-commercial (or mall) of Grenoble. In order to de-stress, I thought it best to buy an American brand of tennis shoes (Asics) and some jogging tights. So far, I am positive this has been the best investment I have made since coming to Grenoble. After the mall, I went for a long jog through a beautiful park near my apartment. Before I left Annie's, Annie told me how "American" I looked. I had on my tennis shoes, jogging pants underneath my running shorts, a long-sleeve shirt under a short-sleeve shirt, and my iPod attached to my clothing. Throughout my jog, I realized she wasn't joking. People were staring at me. They COULD tell I was American by how I was dressed. It was bizarre to be the outsider. It really didn't bother me as much as it would have if I was in the states; I figured, I don't know any of these people, and will most likely never see them again, so I might as well just ignore the confused stares.

My run helped clear my head, put me in a great mood, and gave me a boost of energy. I came back to Annie's apartment with a much better attitude! Annie had friends over and they helped her put new light fixtures up in my room. Along with pretty, green drapes, my room got a make-over in the time I was gone. We had pizza for dinner and I got drunk off of three glasses of wine and a glass of champagne. I love France. Annie made me show her friends the naughty French book I got for Christmas. They were entertained and wanted copies of the book sent to them when I go back to the U.S. I am glad I could be a part of the dinner entertainment! It was exciting to fit in...well, as much as that is possible for the time being.

3 comments:

  1. Be safe!!!!! Especially when your alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, I think I have this figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it worked. Am haveing a shitty day at work,one of our machines kicked john& my asses. That's why I have time to play on the computer.It can be great stress relief! Talk to you later, love Dad

    ReplyDelete