Tuesday, January 19, 2010

9:19 p.m.

I haven’t had a moment to myself since I got to Grenoble. Sorry it took so long to make this entry.

Grenoble, France is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. The mountains surround us and when I ride the tram to school, it looks as though I am looking at a backdrop from a movie set. The view is breath-taking! There are so many things about Grenoble I want to explain. For one, tomatoes taste so much sweeter here than in the U.S. I have figured out why the French are so much healthier than Americans. They eat food that is grown in the nearby countryside and nearly everything at the markets seem to be organic. They eat tons of fruits and vegetables! They walk up stairs to stay in better shape and don’t take the “lifts” even when they are there. I walk or take the tram EVERYWHERE!

Another thing about the French; they don’t wear bright colors. I’m sure I stick out like a sore thumb and they realize I am a foreigner. But, when I open my mouth, all of their possible doubts are confirmed. When I ask someone a question in French, like “Ou est le Place de Notre Dame?” they respond to me in a language I have named FRENGLISH. The French are extremely helpful if you just try to speak their language. I have not had anyone be “snotty” to me, yet. Yet, being the keyword.

The French don’t use normal pillows. They use body pillows, but they are round body pillows. They look like a long cylinder. When I first got to l’Hotel des Alpes, I found this little quirk very interesting. Also, the French don’t seem to believe in heat. Especially, my host mom, Annie. She is a firm believer that cold air keeps one looking young. A Brazilian friend of hers told her that little fact. Annie does, indeed, look younger than her age so maybe it is true. She is a 45 year old, unmarried/no kids woman who has traveled the world. She lived in Singapore, was an au pair in London, has been to the U.S. (apparently, once for a Bruce Springstein concert), and has relics from all over the world. Her parents are Muslim. She is atheist. She is “French” but her roots are “Bastille”-don’t ask me exactly what this is. She is a bilingual secretary. At dinner, sometimes we listen to African music, which is actually very entrancing. Annie is a great cook and is extremely open-minded for being a French woman. She, herself, described French women as being too structured and a little snooty. She is interesting to talk to, especially, when she tells all her stories of her travels around the world and about different cultures she has experienced.

In my bedroom, I have a bed, a desk, and armoire, and a Moroccan rug and a rug from Afghanistan. I love the mesh of different cultures within her fifth-floor flat.

I have had orientations since I got here. Miranda, my resident director, has taught me everything from how to eat in front of my host family to how to use both a fork and knife at all times. She has taught us how to stay away from French men and how to not offend French people. They are a lot different from Americans but this has been a learning experience.

My first French class was a bit of a disaster. I only understood about 25% of what the professor was saying, and it was exhausting to try to keep up. I ended up zoning out a couple of times-if I didn’t, I would have broken down. An LONG hour and a half later, I wanted a stiff drink. My new motto, “Try your best.” I am going to do the best I can, but it isn’t the end of the world if I do poorly. I am sure my French will get better, but for now, I just feel a little lost. I know things will become easier!

1 comment:

  1. Things will get easier and you will do GREAT. You always do.

    ReplyDelete