Monday, January 11, 2010

The Beginning


As I sit in the Chicago airport waiting for my seven hour flight to London, I am making last minute phone calls to everyone I love. I am nervous, anxious, and scared, but excitement outweighs all of the negative emotions. I already miss everyone more than I can say. I miss everything about the U.S., and I haven't even left yet. My last meal was a double-cheeseburger with no mustard, a medium fry and ranch from McDonalds. Lame, I know. I am afraid of losing the comforts of home, although, France does have McDonalds at least.
The second I passed through security at Terminal 5 (the international terminal) I exchanged $60 for euros. It cost me $5 to actually do the exchange. From a quiet middle-eastern woman behind bullet-proof glass, I received 30 euros. The exchange rate feels a bit like a scam. On the positive side, I am not going with nothing. Thirty euros will get me at least a stick of deodorant, a few letters to the U.S., toothpaste and toothbrush and maybe a cheap hair dryer. Wow, I love the euro.
I am not looking forward to being shoved in a cramped seat with no leg room. Knowing my luck, I will end up sitting by a huge, smelly guy with acne. Let's hope not. So far, I don't see anyone like that sitting around me at the gate. I hope to sleep the majority of the way. I am already exhausted from traveling all day. I am thankful that AIFS does not have anything planned for me tomorrow in London. I will be allowed to explore the city on my own. My game plan is to meet a couple nice girls in London that will be attending Grenoble with me, and maybe, after a little bit of shut-eye, I can convince them to do a little sightseeing around the city. "...Right-O" (End of Ze World-YouTube).
Two more hours, of waiting to board the plane. (sigh...)

1 comment:

  1. Am so happy your mom sent me this link! I can't wait to hear about all your adventures. This will be a momentous time for you! Enjoy, Be Safe...Oh, and by the way....How come we weren't one of the ones you loved and called before you left? :) Love you, Steph! Peggy (and the crew)

    ReplyDelete